Thursday, December 16, 2010

Starting to figure things out .....

Starting right out, I wonder how much harder this would be without the help I'm getting from David and Roberto. Thanks to both of you. I'm still a bit confused about the logistics of it, etc., but at least I was able to get in this evening to post another .... another what? Is it an entry? Is it a blog? The whole thing is a blog, so entering something into it wouldn't be called a blog. A post?

Roberto brought up something that is one of my pet peeves. I know he was trying to make me "grow up" and was being helpful when he suggested that I use the help manual, but ......

The problem I have with help manuals is that they are written by individuals so familiar with what they're writing about that they forget it is novices that are reading what they wrote. My company has a tech division and when we were smaller and less "corporate" whenever they developed something and had a manual for users, we would make the least computer literate of us (believe it or not it usually wasn't me) follow the manual step by step and see what happened. Invariably, there were steps missing, or language so confusing or technical so as not to be follow-able. I think that was an excellent way to handle the issue and I wish every manual creater would have an idiot try to see if it was written in such a way as to be helpful.

Granted, I have not yet used the manual for this blog so I may be jumping to conclusions - but I'm much more of a learn by doing person than learn by reading. So, bear with me, Roberto ... I'll try not to ask too many questions.

Well, tomorrow is "pick up the new car and pass the old car on day." And, I have a dilemma.

I told the old car for a scheduled service call today - wanted to hand it off in as good shape as possible. The mechanic cais that there was something (a gasket) that was getting ready to "fail" and when it did it would be $1,500 to repair. He said it could go in a week, a month or 6 months. So, now I'm faced with handing over a car to folks who have no money to get the truck they have fixed which might cost them $1,500 in a very short time. Merry Christmas. I know you need a car so I thought I'd make your life easier, at least for a week or two.

Everyone tells me I have no obligation to pay for it if, and when, whatever it is happens - and I know I have no "obligation," but I feel that the whole idea of the gift becomes worthless if I don't. So now what I'm looking at is a gift that has already cost me about $5,000/$6,000 in lost trade-in (which I was more than happy to forego) and which will shortly cost me another $1,500.

Proves the old maxim - No Good Deed Ever Goes Unpunished.

Good night for now, whoever you are out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment